Luxon House

In 1866, builder and brickyard owner G. D. Wilgus purchased 11 acres of land in the East End from William McCracken, who had inherited the parcel from his brother, John, three years prior. At this time, Wilgus was in business with T. C. Luxon, with whom he sold hay, oats, corn, lime, sand, and cement. This venture resulted in another partnership – of a romantic nature – as Luxon married Wilgus’ daughter, Lucy, in 1868.

At some point between 1871 and 1876, Wilgus built the house at 357 E. Third for Lucy (close to the family homestead) and legally ensured that it would remain solely under her control. While the building appears to be Federal in style due to its simplicity, the corbelled overhang above the front door’s transom suggests an Italianate influence. Lucy remained the owner until 1919.

From 1928 to 1953, members of the Stevenson family owned the property, which they likely rented out. Reverend William H. Stevenson was an African-American minister who, according to a 1910 Lexington Leader article, had “built seven churches in the past two years and has been the financial agent for the Freedman's Aid Movement of the M. E. Church for some time.” In 1930, Stevenson conveyed the house to his daughter, Willie, who was working as a music teacher. Meanwhile, son Charles operated his medical practice out of a small office at the southeast corner of the property (not extant).

In 1981, 357 E. Third was sold in deteriorated condition to the Lexington Fayette Urban County Government, which proceeded to convey it to the Blue Grass Trust for $1 in 1985. Prior to selling the building on to local developer Edward Holmes, who rehabilitated it at a cost of $70,000, the Blue Grass Trust imposed protective conservation restrictions that would remain in operation for seventy-five years.



357 E. Third St.