The Carrick House is located at the corner of Third Street and North Limestone, across from Transylvania University. The Carrick House was commissioned by James Weir before his death in 1832. His nephew oversaw the Carrick House to its completion by the early 1850s.
Gideon Shyrock designed the original house as a two story, three-bay brick home with a double portico featuring Doric columns. The two side bays were originally built as a single story, but over the years they were raised to two-stories.
In 1852, the younger James Weir left Kentucky and went to Texas, leaving the property to Judge Thomas Marshall. Judge Marshall was a law professor at Transylvania University and resided at the Carrick House for about five years before he sold it to Richard Buckner, another lawyer. Buckner did not own the property very long before selling the property to Henry T. Duncan Sr.
The property belonged to the Duncan family until 1910, when Dr. James Cantrill Carrick purchased the property. Dr. James Cantrill Carrick resided at the house with his wife Anna, until his passing in 1954. After the passing of Dr. James Cantrill Carrick, the property was donated to Transylvania University. The property has been known as the Carrick House ever since.
Under Transylvania’s ownership, the house served as the first ambulatory center for Fayette County. Shortly after the Carrick House was donated to Transylvania University, they liquidated the asset to the Hager family. The Hager Family gave the Carrick House a new function as a funeral home, Whitehall Funeral Chapel. It remained as Whitehall Funeral Chapel for the second half of the 20th century until 2007, when the Lundergan Group bought the property and turned it into the event space it is today.
When the Lundergan Group purchased the property, it consisted only of the main mansion, which was not big enough to host events. In 2011 construction for an addition at the rear of the mansion began. The owners hired architect Clayton Farmer, and the addition included an atrium and a grand ballroom.
The design of the addition has a historic but contemporary style with character features, such as trims and moldings that complement the main house’s design. These additions do not replicate the original character features. While the addition of the Carrick House was being designed, the Lundergan Group did not alter the existing main house in order to preserve the existing interior and exterior character. The Lundergan Group attempted to keep the existing historic materials. The only alterations made to the house after it was purchased consisted of refinishing the hardwood floors converting the gas light fixtures to electric.