The African Cemetery No. 2 was originally established in a rural setting and was known as the old Union Benevolent Society No. 2 Cemetery. 159 African Americans critical to the horse industry are buried in this cemetery, as well as 121 Civil War veterans and over two dozen WWI and WWII veterans. The cemetery has existed since 1869.
A Lexington nonprofit educating locals and tourists on the history of the cemetery has extensively researched many who are laid to rest here. Visit africancemeteryno2.org for individual historic profiles on those buried in the cemetery and for digital brochures of self-guided tours.
The website also features a full-length documentary presented by the Lexington Public Library, “Eight Acres of History: Lexington’s African Cemetery No.2.” Visit the events page for information on monthly events celebrating this history and the Juneteenth programs. Included in this story is the Blue Grass Trust's deTour of the cemetery given by historian Yvonne Giles, who has devoted years of research to the history of the East End. Follow this link to learn more about our award-winning deTour program and watch other recorded tours.