In March 1882, several members of Main Street Baptist Church left the congregation to organize a new church. They worshipped in an old engine house on South Limestone. About a year later, they built a church on Corral Street and took the name "Liberty Baptist Church."
Over the next four decades, the congregation moved several times, each time into a larger facility, to accommodate the growing membership.
In 1925, West Chestnut Street Christian Church, which had a predominately white membership, agreed to sell its building, built in 1889, at 330 Chestnut Street to Liberty Baptist. At this location, the church continued to prosper, and along the way added “Greater” to its name. In 2025, Greater Liberty Baptist will celebrate its centennial anniversary in this historic building.
Follow this link to see the current church community still worshipping in this beautiful historic space today.