The East End’s Constitution School began as a frame building in 1871 and was known as Colored School #2. It was built on Corrall and Lincoln, now Race Street, by Trustees of the Colored Public Schools. They petitioned town council to use funds from taxes paid by African Americans for public education to rebuild the school in 1904. The entrance to the new school faced Constitution Street, hence the name change. It was razed in 1977.
According to historian Yvonne Giles, the man standing in the fourth row on the left is John B. Caulder, who was the principal of the Constitution School.